Name:
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Monday, March 05, 2007





So on my way back to Belgium from Washington State, I stopped in Washington, DC, for the weekend. It was really nice catching up with my old friends there. Caught up with Eric (my close Cuban-outcasted friend), Karen (one of my closest friends I met in Guadalajara-Real Worlder!), Christian (my never-ending support and friend who is always there for me when I need her), Juan (token friend, HAHAHA!!), and Ozzie (close friend from college whose wedding I will be in soon…right?). Hung out in Georgetown and then met up with everyone in Adams Morgan to do the whole bar thing and, as expected, had an amazing time. Too bad all my friends couldn’t have made it. I miss those guys.

I made it back to Brussels and was pushed into a Valentines Auction. As president of the student government, I was obligated to take part of our fundraiser to be auctioned. We made a lot of money and I was sold for a pretty good amount, I like to think at least. I took this girl out for an evening of fun who turned out to be really nice. She’s from Bombay, India, and is a very well-rounded gal. We just saw a movie, had dinner, went to a few bars, and ended the night at a club. Good times.

The following weekend I went to Cologne, Germany, for Carnival. It was AWESOME! It was like week-long Halloween party with people’s only goal is to drink and have a good time. Just like Oktoberfest, the Germans are a phenomenal people. Not a single fight (unlike with Americans). I dressed up as a pirate all weekend and I can undeniably say I have never seen so many amazing costumes, aside from the endless amounts of Arab and Mexican costumes. Which made me think whether I should even dress up or just be myself, a Mexican. Either way it was fun. We got there on a Saturday and started the day at a parade outside the city and partied until the sunrise. Sunday was no different but me and my friends made it a bonding day. By bonding, I mean rode bumper-cars for at least 8 consecutive times…could have been the highlight of the trip; except for when one friend accidentally kicked a ball another friend won at carnival game on top of the bumper car tent…actually, that was kinda funny. The next day was perhaps the most fun since it was the highlight of the whole week. People from around the world flood the streets of Cologne to watch a 7 hour parade which seemed endless! I am pretty sure it went down every single street in that city…man, it was so long. Needless to say I didn’t even see more than 15 minutes of it. We just stayed in our rotation of hopping from beer tent to beer tent and dancing with the locals. At one point in time I remember a German throwing me up in the air during their city’s chant: VIVA COLOGNE! I was scared for my life but then I realized this is Carnival! Live it up! So we did and continued to integrate ourselves in the German custom of drinking, dancing, and singing with arms interlocked swaying back and forth…simply an awesome time.

Now, I am overwhelmed with school work and stressing about finalizing my dissertation topic. It has evolved tremendously from what it previously was and the only thing I am certain is that it involves the Middle East and politics and, perhaps, religion. It also seems that I have a sick obsession with Iran so I will probably use Iran as a centerpiece of my work of art. Til next time…

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home